Vanderbilt University Athletics
Nashville is a city known for music, entertainment, and sports. From professional sports teams —like the Tennessee Titans and Nashville Predators—to college athletics—like the Vanderbilt Commodores—sports drive the camaraderie Nashvillians have shared across the city for decades. Located in the heart of the city, Vanderbilt University is undertaking one of its biggest investments in athletics the school has ever had, and SSR is excited to be part of the team.
SSR began working on Vanderbilt’s campus in 1968, and we have enjoyed a relationship with the university for 54 years. We have completed over 30 projects on both the university and medical campuses, including several sports projects over the years.
Our history of sports projects with Vanderbilt includes:
- Hawkins Field – a 2,500-seat baseball stadium with a new pressbox
- New indoor football practice facility – a multi-purpose facility that can accommodate up to 4,600 people
- Renovation of the Memorial Gymnasium – an addition of luxury suites and renovations to the locker rooms
- McGugin Academic Sports Complex – 35,000 SF academic, fitness, and dietary addition and 63,000 SF renovation
- Neely Auditorium – 450,000 SF complex with exhibition hall and 30,000 SF of meeting space
SSR provided mechanical, electrical, and plumbing engineering services on all these projects.
Even with our long-standing history of projects on the university and medical campuses, SSR’s relationship with Vanderbilt University isn’t all work. Nearly 20 SSR colleagues across our offices call Vanderbilt University their alma mater. Even our CEO Steve Lane was on a full baseball scholarship as a pitcher and centerfielder from 1975 to 1978.
With a legacy like that, we are thrilled to partner with Populous on projects currently in progress for Vanderbilt Athletics. Learn more about our South End Zone Facility and Basketball Practice Facility projects on Vanderbilt’s Vandy United website.