You Play a Role in Work Zone Safety
National Work Zone Awareness Week (April 17-21) is an annual week focused on encouraging safe driving through highway work zones. The key message is for drivers to use extra caution in work zones. Work zone safety needs your attention every time you get behind the wheel.
Did you know that most people killed in work zone crashes are drivers and their passengers? In 2021, of the 956 work zone fatalities, 778 were drivers or their passengers.
With summer driving and construction season approaching, I wanted to reiterate some safe driving tips in work zones:
- Slow down and obey posted speed limits.
- Stay alert; work zones can change daily, and signs, cones, drums, and flaggers are there to help guide you safely.
- Keep your eyes on the road and eliminate distractions such as cell phones.
- Watch for sudden stops and don’t tailgate.
- Watch for workers and their equipment.
- Move over a lane to give the construction crew more space if the roadway allows.
Learn more here.